Click the play button above to tune in.

Click this link for more listening options.

Sign up for our mailing list: https://bit.ly/BAGeLNews

Blog below & at bagelradio.com/blog

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

J Mascis on Meeting Simon LeBon



Last week during SXSW 2011 (photos here) I went to see Dinosaur Jr. frontman J Mascis play a solo show at the Red 7 Patio. He was amazing, as usual, and this time included sampling his own guitar parts for later use, layering them into songs on the fly. I've seen others do that before, but seeing a fellow with long gray hair and granny glasses do it? Outstanding! Anyway, besides the terrific performance, J also told a story about having recently met Duran Duran front man Simon LeBon a couple of days earlier. Take it away, J:
The other day I did this interview that Sub Pop set up. When it was done I got up off the couch and some guy comes up to me and shakes my hand and says, "Hi, I'm Simon from Duran Duran." He looked at me, waiting for me to say something, but I just kinda looked at him. I didn't have anything to say. So I just kinda walked away. I guess that's why some people think I'm a dick.
Gotta love the guy. He may be one of the more socially awkward rock stars in the history of the world, but at least he's aware of it and owns it.

Select SXSW 2011 photos here, and the whole big batch here.

No comments: