Click the play button above to tune in.

Click this link for more listening options.

Sign up for our mailing list: https://bit.ly/BAGeLNews

Blog below & at bagelradio.com/blog

Friday, September 01, 2017

"480 Minutes" - Back To School


This week my eldest niece went off to college.  She was the first baby I was ever left alone to look after.  I was terrified.  I don't like babies -- they can't use words tell you what they want!  Back then she was crawling a bit, and while scooting about my kitchen floor she discovered something she liked -- one of my cats, Calvin, who was soft and very laid back.   She pulled his tail, grabbed his paw, then rested her head on his fat belly, looked up at me, and giggled, which calmed me down for all of ten seconds before I started stressing the fact that I alone was responsible for this baby.  I wish I'd had a digital camera back then, mostly for the kid, but the selfies would have been priceless portraits of fear.

The start of this next chapter in her life is making me feel very old.  A listener requested R.E.M.'s "It's The End Of The World As We Know It" for the playlist this week in honor of kids going back to school and I reminded him that this year's freshman class was still 12 years away from being born when that song was released.  That just made me feel older (thanks a lot, Graham!).

It will all be OK if I make it out to see a midnight screening of Robocop (with drinking game!) tonight in Brooklyn.  It's a great movie, especially with an enthusiastic group -- which is how I saw it again last year, split between a DVD copy (which got stuck part-way through, physical media FAIL!) and then through someone's Amazon Video account -- so this event could well peel back about 30 years from the way I feel right now.  That said, after extremely limited sleep, falling asleep during a midnight movie is a distinct possibility, and I've never done that before, so that would make me feel even older.

Normally submissions to the station pick up the first week of September, this year it was the last week in August, which resulted in a review queue of over 600 songs submitted this week.  The good news is: a disproportionate number of the submissions were good!

As a result, today the award-winning 480 Minutes show today will feature new songs by Baby Jesus (Halmstad, Sweden), Blue Blood (Athens, GA), Brian Hill (Los Angeles, CA), Cotillon (New York, NY, @cotillonflowers), Deerhoof (San Francisco, CA, @deerhoof), Loud Sun (Oakland/Minneapolis, @loudsunjansen), Lovely Bad Things (Los Angeles, CA, @lovelybadtweets), Mogwai (Glasgow, Scotland, @mogwaiband), Motörhead (London, England, @myMotorhead), Pardoner (San Francisco, CA, @pardonerbandsf), Queens of the Stone Age (Joshua Tree, CA, @qotsa), and Tera Melos (Sacramento, CA, @teramelos).

The 480 Minutes program begins at 9 a.m. Eastern U.S. Time and is live-hosted until 5 p.m.
The show is rebroadcast in it's entirety on Friday evenings beginning at 7 p.m., Saturdays at 5 a.m. and 3 p.m., and Sundays at 1 a.m. ET.

http://somafm.com/bagel/

Keep in touch during the hosted show:
e-mail: ted(at)somafm.com
Twitter: @bagelradio
Yahoo IM/GoogleTalk: bagelradio
AOL/iChat: bagelradiolive
facebook.com/bagelradio/
chat with other listeners: https://internet-radio-slack.herokuapp.com

Videos








 480 Minutes Season 13 Episode 33

No comments: