Click the play button above to tune in.

Click this link for more listening options.

Sign up for our mailing list: https://bit.ly/BAGeLNews

Blog below & at bagelradio.com/blog

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Strangeways Here Comes The FBI


(not my photo)
Is it really so strange that the 'terror suspect net' cast by U.S. and British 'intelligence' agencies is so wide that it has now ensnared none other than Stephen Patrick Morrissey. The now solo artist and former front-man for seminal 80s British rock band The Smiths often performed with garlands dangling from his back pocket. From The Tripwire:
Apparently the FBI and British “intelligence” quizzed Morrissey after speaking out against both governments. It’s not uncommon for the Moz-father to speak out against government, so what is the deal?
According to Contact Music, Morrissey explains, "The FBI and the Special Branch have investigated me and I've been interviewed and taped and so forth. They were trying to determine if I was a threat to the government, and similarly in England. But it didn't take them very long to realize that I'm not. I don't belong to any political groups, I don't really say anything unless I'm asked directly and I don't even demonstrate in public. I always assume that so-called authoritarian figures just assume that pop/rock music is slightly insane and an untouchable platform for the working classes to stand up and say something noticeable. My view is that neither England or America are democratic societies. You can't really speak your mind and if you do you're investigated."
---
I guess if you can't find Osama, Morrissey is the next best thing. Obviously it is easy to get them confused, they both have funny names and like to record audio tapes.
Hey, at least Morrissey didn't try to sidestep oversight of the sale of six American ports to an Arab corporation to which he has financial ties. Well I wonder, what difference does it make?

Read more here and here.

I don't mean to paint a vulgar picture, but as for Bush not knowing anything about the sale until after it was done, that's a miserable lie, but the truth will come out. These things take time.

(originally posted at State of the Day)

No comments: